Sunday, November 5, 2017

My Week With Sick Kids


Such a trooper
Last weekend the girls went on a mini vacation to Mackinac Island with their family and Juliette had gotten sick the morning they were leaving. I had received a call from their mom Monday morning saying that she was staying home the rest of the day because Jules was sick. I figured after a whole weekend plus Monday that by Tuesday morning she would be fine. Boy was I wrong.

I've learned that taking care of a 4 year old when she's throwing up for the first time she can actually remember, it's kind of like taking care of a drunk person who doesn't know how to hold their head up. I mean she was a trooper I will admit that, but for the life of her she just didn't know HOW to throw up. That being said, she performed on the couch (which was disgusting). Now let's add in a 14 month old who wants to go investigate what just happened on the couch while I am busy in the bathroom with the 4 year old. HELP!

This picture of Jules was taken on Wednesday morning on our way to school and she was just so tired and happy that I was surprised we were sending her to school. She didn't have a fever and wasn't throwing up anymore but you could tell she just wasn't feeling herself. This whole last week has consisted of us staying indoors and not really doing anything other than school in the morning and games, reading, and movies in the afternoon. She just wanted to lay around all day which I wasn't complaining about until Friday when I was feeling a little cooped up in the house. She was finally feeling better and we actually got out of the house and played outside for a little bit and boy was that refreshing!


She actually fell asleep just like this
Now let's move on to Shay. She has been teething this whole week and was so cranky in the morning until after her naps around noon. There just wasn't a moment of silence from these girls in the 9-10 hours I was there each day and it finally hit me on Friday that I was exhausted. I can't imagine what our mothers had to go through with us and never having the choice to go home at the end of the day like I do with being a nanny. Being this has made me realize that I should just get used to it and find ways to make it "fun". This video clip is of moms who have to stay strong for their sick children and it just made me think that having kids with the flu or cold or even teething isn't something to get stressed or angry about. Be grateful that they are here with you.
With Shay it was natural to hold and cuddle her, which come on let's be honest, cuddling babies are comforting to ourselves if anything. She is such a cuddle bug that I didn't mind her not feeling her best... up until I have to take care of a sick 4 year old and have to put her down and she starts screaming and whining and clinging to me feet.

After this exhausting week of sick babies, I was just so excited to go home and get takeout with my boyfriend and just relax until Monday. HA - joke was on me. I was just taking care of sick babies all week, why did I think I could get away with no getting sick too?
By Saturday morning my boyfriend and I were both in and out of the bathroom and then in bed the whole day. Sure I "relaxed" a bit but not the way I had planned. Nothing got done that needed to and on top of all of that, my endless amount of homework just kept piling. I'm glad we are all feeling better and I hope this next week is filled with laughter and activities outside or anywhere OTHER than the girls' house! Wish me luck :)

Oh and here is a few more photos I took this week of the girls either being silly, happy, or bundled on the couch!




2 comments:

  1. Awe!! It's rough taking care of sick babies, but I am sure their mother and them appreciate all you do! It's sure not easy. My son is going to be a year in a few days, the teething has been very rough. I was just saying how often he got sick when he was little. Here is praying for a better winter this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking care of sick kids is just so hard!

    ReplyDelete

Siblings